It’s summer and it’s time to get outside and exercise. If your four legged friends are like mine, they want to go too. Here’s some really great pet safety precautions for warm weather to keep your best friend safe this summer.
- Make sure your pet gradually builds up stamina over time. Just like you he will need to take it slow at first and build up.
- If you see signs of heat exhaustion immediately stop and allow your dog to rest in a shaded area.
- Take water for your dog as well as yourself. Many walking trails have special water hydrants especially for dogs.
- If your dogs needs to cool down quickly wrap him in wet towels or place them on his feet, neck, chest and head.
- You can also immerse your dog in cool, not cold water to cool him safely.
- If your dog overheats be sure to have him examined by a veterinarian as soon as possible.
- Some dogs are more at risk for heat exhaustion, especially dogs that are overweight or have lung or heart issues.
Here’s a list of signs of heat exhaustion and heat stroke in your dog. “Heavy panting, Rapid heartbeat, Bright red tongue, Red or pale gums, Bright red eyes, Thick, sticky saliva, Excessive drooling, Foam around the mouth, Restlessness, Lethargy and weakness, Dizzy and staggering, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Lack of muscle control or coordination, Confusion or inattention and Coma.”
For more valuable information please visit http://austintexas.gov/article/warm-weather-safety-precautions.
And remember, when you are ready to move home or office we would love to help. Get a free online quote today!
Comments Off on Pet Safety Precautions For Warm Weather