We might as well face it, almost nobody ‘likes’ to move! But, there is much we can do to make things easier on ourselves. Most of us know how to get boxes, pack them and wait for the moving company to come take our stuff to the new house. Here’s a list of several important moving basics you won’t want to forget.
- Plan ahead – Give yourself at least a month, if possible, to get things in order. If you need to move on a certain day you need to contact your moving company as soon as possible to arrange things. Certain times of the year are busier moving times and your mover will fill their schedule quickly. Don’t make the mistake of waiting to book your moving date.
- Disassemble furniture yourself – This will save time on moving day and can be done by you the night before.
- Measure doorways and hallways – When you are choosing your new home, don’t overlook things like measuring the space for the fridge, measuring the hallways and doorways. It’s not fun to be surprised on moving day with ‘your extra tall refrigerator won’t fit in the kitchen’.
- Don’t pack combustible or flammable items – As you are packing be sure to set aside items movers are not allowed to transport. Recycle theses or give them to friends, but don’t pack them.
- Prepare for storage – During your move is always a good time to let go of items you don’t need or want any longer. But, there could be some items you’ll want to store. You might want to pack these items in clear plastic bins, you’ll be able to see what’s in them and they will be safer and stack more easily this way.
- Arrange your finances – Be sure you have arranged to have cash easily and quickly accessible. There’s usually something you need that you hadn’t prearranged and having the cash available can save running to the bank or ATM fees.
- Also, make sure bills coming due don’t get overlooked while you are focused on moving. Pay these a little early so you can concentrate on getting into your new home.
- Check your insurance policy – Your homeowner’s or renter insurance may or may not cover your belongings during the move. Check your policy and if needed be sure to purchase insurance from your moving company.
- Meals in the new home – You’ll want to prepare for a few meals out when you first get to your new home, make sure you budget for this before hand.
- Be sure to give away your frozen foods – Even a short move can be dangerous. You don’t want your food to thaw and the be refrozen. There will be less to move and you won’t run the risk of food spoilage.
- Take care of the environment – After you’ve finished with your moving boxes be sure to flatten them. Recycle companies and moving companies will pick them up to be used again.
Have some fun with your move, it’s the start of your new adventure!
And, Remember, when you are ready to move home or office, we would love to help! Get your free moving quote today!
Comments Off on Moving Basics You Won’t Want To Forget